Some jobs carry with them risks. If you are self employed whatever effects your employment has on your health in the long run will be risks you will have to take into account when you are in the process of setting up your business. Self employed workers are not provided for by the government if they develop a debilitating disorder.

If you have developed a disability or disease due to your employment the government will be able to provide you with ‘Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit’ (IIDB) this is due to their understanding that if you develop an illness that hinders you from continuing in your previous employment you potentially will not be able to work at all, or may suffer a severe loss of income.

The amount of benefits you will receive will be calculated depending on your age, whether you have any dependants and on the severity of your disability. The current government figures for Industrial Disability are approximately £158.10 a week for an individual aged over 18 with a disability rated 100% down to £19.38 a week for an individual aged under 18 with no dependants. Benefits are calculated on a sliding scale between these boundaries. The level of disability you have is assessed by a doctor and will come somewhere on a scale from 1% to 100%. Every case is different and the benefits you receive will vary from person to person.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is available to residents of England, Scotland and Wales who have suffered an injury whilst at work in these countries or have developed an illness as a result of their employment. Diseases covered by IIDB include: asthma, deafness, bronchitis, osteoarthritis and emphysema and also a specific range of asbestos related illnesses are covered. An exhaustive list of illnesses which allow you to claim IIDB is available from the government’s website.

To claim IIDB you have to fill out a form for the Department of Pensions and Benefits. If you are claiming for IIDB following an accident you will require a ‘Claim Form BI100A’ and if you are claiming for IIDB after contracting a work related disease you will require a ‘Claim Form BI100PD.’

On top of claiming for benefits following a work related accident or illness, you should also consider making a compensation claim against your employer. Contact a specialist work accident lawyer and talk through your options with them, if it is deemed that your employer is in some way liable for your illness or accident you will be able to make a claim for compensation. This should help you move on with your life and begin to reimburse you for some of the loss of earnings you have suffered, and for the emotional and physical pain you have been through.

Contact Us

If you want to make a work injury claim talk to one of our specialist team here at Roskell Davies today. All initial enquiries are free and no obligation so call us on 0800 142 2901 or fill in an online enquiry.

Share Article With: