When you are renting a property your landlord has a responsibility to you to keep the property in good repair. This ‘good repair’ includes the plumbing, the electrics, the gas, the structure of the property and the exterior of the property. Your landlord should make repairs on your property within a ‘reasonable’ timescale. When it comes to disrepair in the winter, and the lack of repairs to your property has caused you harm, you have a good chance of making a housing disrepair compensation claim. You can also substantiate a housing disrepair claim if the failure to repair a fault has resulted in inconvenience to yourself or damage to your belongings.

A specialist solicitor can help you if you are having trouble getting your landlord to complete repairs on your property. They will also be able to help you know where you stand in the eyes of the law in terms of your rights – some landlords may try to evict you rather than complete the repairs. Taking your landlord to court can be a stressful experience and it should be thought through carefully, it may be most appropriately turned to as an option when you are not concerned about the renewal of your tenancy agreement. Talk all this through with a solicitor, each person will be considering claiming under differing circumstances. If there is a tenancy agreement in place you are likely to have good grounds for your landlord to need to fulfil their obligations to you.

When you contact a solicitor they can help you in a numbers of ways. Firstly, they can contact the landlord to give them timescales in which to complete the repairs. If your landlord does not complete the repairs within this timescale, your solicitor will be able to represent you in court. Often landlords will choose to complete the repairs once a solicitor gets involved, wishing to avoid a potentially expensive court case. If your landlord still refuses to complete the repairs, your lawyer will take your landlord to court to legally enforce the repairs and will also be able to make a claim for damages on your behalf. Therefore if your belongings have become damaged due to the disrepair of your property you should make note of these damages. For example, if your roof is leaking and this has damaged your property such as clothing, furniture or electrical equipment – you may be able to get monetary compensation for these items.

Contact Us

Contact a specialist housing disrepair solicitor today if you need to take your landlord to court. Roskell Davies team can help you, call us on 0800 142 2901 or fill in an online enquiry. We offer all initial consultations free of charge so you can have a chat to us and see how we can help you.

Back to all news

Share Article With: