When you are hit by an uninsured or untraced driver the first thing you will do is get extremely worried. However, do not worry yourself too much as there are people out there to help you. You are not on your own and this does not mean you are necessarily going to have to fork out a lump sum to pay for the damage. If the accident is not your fault you should be able to get help. Many people are hit by uninsured drivers each year in the UK, even though car insurance is a legal obligation.

What Should I Do?

Firstly, if you have been hit by anyone on the road, you need to get vital information from the third party. The most important details to take are the third party’s car registration, make and model. If you suspect an uninsured driver has hit you you should make sure these are totally accurate. They are likely to give a fake name and address if you ask them for this so collect as much alternative information as possible. If you can, or if you feel there may be contention as to who was at fault further down the line, try and take photos of the scene and if there are any independent witnesses take their names and numbers. Make sure you have written down a clear account of what happened when it is fresh in your mind.

If anyone is injured in the collision, the vehicles are causing an obstruction or someone else’s property has been damaged by the collision, you will need to call the police. When the police are called all necessary information will be requested from the individual to prove that the vehicle is insured, the MOT is valid and that they are the registered keeper of the car. If you do not need to call the police you may wish to take it upon yourself to attain this information yourself.

You will find that if you have comprehensive cover you will be in the best position here. This is because you car insurance will naturally cover this kind of situation so you will not have to take the issue further than your insurers. As of May 2012 some insurance brokers have brought in a clause to prevent drivers who have been hit by an uninsured party, and are not at fault in a collision, from losing their no claims discount or having to pay the excess on their insurance.

If you are not under comprehensive insurance you will have to make you claim through the Motor Insurer’s Bureau (MIB). This organisation is specifically tailored to help people like you who have been a victim of a negligent uninsured or untraced driver. They seek to compensate victims rapidly and fairly.

Contact Us

Contact a solicitor today if you wish to make a personal injury claim following an accident with an uninsured or untraced driver, a firm who specialise in personal injury will be able to help you get the compensation you deserve. Call Roskell Davies on 0800 142 2901 or fill in an online enquiry to receive a completely free and no obligation initial consultation.

Share Article With: