In later life, there is a high possibility that you may have to pay care home fees, and if you have an elderly relative now who requires care, you may already be involved in helping them research payment options for their care home fees. Most individuals will be expected to pay a contribution towards their care. However, the criteria for assessment of eligibility for help with funding care changed in 2007 which has led to the possibility to make a claim if it is ruled that the initial assessment was incorrect.

It is possible to make a claim to receive a refund of care fees on behalf of your elderly relative, whether they are still with us or not. It is also possible to enter a claim for a refund on your own behalf. Those who have received care due to serious health issues, but paid care home fees, are likely to be eligible for a refund.

What Are The Deadlines For Claims?

For any Care Home refunds cases between 1st April 2004 and 31st March 2011 the deadline within which to lodge a claim with the relevant Primary Care Trust (PCT) is 30th September 2012. For cases between  1st April 2011 and 31st March 2012 the deadline to lodge the claim with the relevant PCT is 31st March 2013.

How Do I Apply For A Refund?

Applying for a refund is possible in Wales and England with claims being possible for fees paid from 2004 onwards in England and 2003 onwards in Wales. However it is not possible to claim for a care home fee refund in Northern Ireland and the Scottish assessment system is means tested in a different way from the English and Welsh systems.

If you believe a relative was wrongly assessed it is possible to retrospectively reassess their case. This applies whether they are still in a care home or not. You should discuss the possibility of a reassessment with your social worker, health worker or the local Primary Care Trust. The reassessment will be made from the date when the individual first entered the nursing home.

It is advisable to instruct a solicitor who specialises in care home fee refund claims, there has been a huge number of these claims made since the change in legislation. Many claims have been stalled due to the high volume of people going through the process. To ensure your claim is dealt with in an appropriate amount of time; instruct a professional and they will be there for you every step of the way be your experience of claiming long or short.

Roskell Davies can help you with your claim, contact us today for a completely free initial enquiry. Call 0800 142 2901 or contact us online here.

Share Article With: