You are out for dinner, an elderly relative slips and falls, your night is cut short and they are taken to hospital. Alternatively, your child is walking through a restaurant and slips and falls on wet flooring; they cut their head on a table corner. You are working as a chef in a kitchen and you are burnt badly. Do any of these stories sound anything like you? Then read on and find out what you can do if you or a loved one has had an accident in a restaurant.

Who Is Responsible For My Restaurant Accident?

This is the first question you will need to be asking following your restaurant accident. The answer will make the difference between being able to claim for compensation for your accident and not being able to claim for compensation. In a nutshell, if the restaurant is deemed to be liable for your accident they should compensate you for the injuries that you have suffered due to their negligence.

In terms of the examples examined above – all of the case studies would require a specialist personal injury lawyer to talk to the individual about the exact circumstances of their accident to be able to ascertain who was at fault, and whether this is a chance of their case being successful in court. For example, if the child who fell over fell on an area of wet flooring that did not have a warning sign beside it, the restaurant is likely to be held legally responsible for their injuries.

If the restaurant has acted in a way that put their customers or their staff in danger, they should be held responsible for they actions. For accidents involving customers, restaurants have public liability insurance to be able to compensate injured individuals. Restaurants are also legally responsible for the health and safety of their staff in the workplace, and if you have had an accident that was due to your employer’s negligence, they should compensate you.

How Do I Claim For Compensation For My Restaurant Accident?

  1. Get medical treatment – your health is the first priority. If you are able to, make sure that a record is kept of the treatment that you received for your injuries. If you are restaurant employee this includes ensuring an entry is made to the accident book.
  2. Contact a lawyer – get in touch with a specialist personal injury lawyer to help you with your case.
  3. Keep a record – keep a record of your injuries and of any financial losses that you incur as a direct result of the accident.

Share Article With: